Painting the Sky and Atmospheric Landscapes
PLEIN AIR PAINTING WORKSHOP
Saturday 24 & Sunday 25 February 2018, Glenbrook Lagoon and Blaxland Studio, 9.30am – 5.00pm
I will share my secrets with you, learned over decades of painting in the landscape
You will be equipped and empowered to paint outdoors with confidence
2 days of tuition for all levels, delicious lunch, morning & afternoon teas for $350
%10 discount for pensioners / if you book for more than one workshop/ if you bring a friend
Click HERE to book in now or ph. 0432 922 653 (Limit of 10 places)
Nature is ever changing - a dynamic, mysterious and 'other' world that fascinates me and motivates me to constantly explore depicting it with paint. Over two days I will share my process and teach you various techniques to connect with and paint landscapes. You will create several 'plein air' sketches in paint and mixed media on the first day at Glenbrook Lagoon. We will work quickly to capture the changing effects of light, colour and movement. On the second day we will develop your ideas and skills in the studio and work towards a finished painting.
You will learn how to:
• Connect with the landscape using mindful attention
• Explore your relationship with nature using a range of drawing techniques
• Understand and use a range of mark making techniques
• Use a viewfinder and compositional sketches
• Create painted sketches of your impressions
• Handle paints and mixed media with ease and proficiency
• Understand the value and limits of photography
• Confidently select and omit parts of what you see to create an effective composition
• Learn how to layer an image to create visual depth and colour complexity
• Understand how to develop your work at home
We will work at Glenbrook lagoon and in my studio in Blaxland and I will share my expertise and passion with you. Whether you are starting out or an experienced painter, you will definitely develop your ability to create successful pictures inspired by nature. You will also connect with like-minded and interesting people.
I will encourage you to use your senses and perception to truly see nature, to harness your intuition and to express your unique ‘voice’ in your paintings.
Call me with any questions you may have, I’d love to chat with you, ph. 0432 922 653
WORKSHOP TIMES AND DATES
The workshop will run Saturday 25 & Sunday 26 February 2018, 9.30am – 5.00pm with lunch and refreshments provided on site.
Glenbrook Lagoon, corner Skarratt Ave and Glenbrook Rd and my studio in Blaxland, in the lower Blue Mountains.
Lunch is included in the workshop fees and provided on location. Fresh fruit, cake, water, tea and coffee will be available as needed. Please let me know when booking, if you have special dietary requirements.
You must be 16 and over to attend this workshop unless otherwise agreed. A parent or guardian must provide written permission for you to participate if you are under 18.
By train from Sydney – Trains run regularly on the Blue Mountains Line, from Central station, stopping at major junctions like Strathfield and Parramatta. If you would like to be collected from Glenbrook or Blaxland train station please arrange this with me.
By car from Sydney – It takes approximately 65 minutes from Sydney CBD or 45 minutes from Homebush to travel along the M4 to Blaxland.
BOOKINGS AND PAYMENT
Places for the workshop are limited to 10 and will be allocated in the order of bookings received with full payment. You can book here or by telephone ph. 0432 922 653. I will then invoice you and provide you with bank transfer details. Once your direct bank payment is processed, you will receive an email confirmation, along with detailed information about the workshop.
Early Bird bookings close prior to 20 December 2017 - $300 (No further discount)
If you fail to take advantage of the early bird booking you are entitled to a %10 discount on the full price of $350, if you are a pensioner / if you bring a friend
I reserve the right to cancel the workshop if minimum enrolments are not reached two weeks prior to the workshop date or for circumstances beyond my control. You will be offered placements in an alternative workshop or a refund of all fees.
As I rely on group numbers for this workshop, the following cancellation fees will be charged if you choose to cancel or do not attend:
· On or before 4 weeks prior to workshop - FULL REFUND
· Between 4 and 2 weeks prior to workshop - 50% of workshop fee
· Less than 2 weeks prior to workshop - 100% of workshop fee
If you are unable to attend and your place is taken by another participant, your fees will be credited towards attending another workshop.
By purchasing this workshop you agree that you have read and agree to the above conditions.
EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING:
· 2 - 3 canvases / heavy paper / boards appropriate to your medium
· A3 (or bigger) watercolour pad 300gsm, preferably with gummed edges
· Sketchbook & pen/pencil
· Clips and board
· Apron, hat, weather-appropriate clothing, sunblock, insect repellent
· Palette and multiple water containers
· Odourless solvent for oil painters
· Spray bottle of water
· 2 wide top jars (like peanut butter jars, plastic is fine)
· 3 - 5 cotton rags (old towel/sheet) and/or paper towel
· 2 painting knives/palette knives
· Assortment of hog’s bristle (stiff) & soft brushes
· 4B, 6B Pencils, sharpener, eraser
· 3 willow sticks, kneadable eraser, white chalk pastel (bring other colours if you have them)
· Easel, table, stool (I have several easels available for loan).
· Set of gouache or watercolour (cheap set is fine)
· Assortment of hog’s bristle (stiff) & soft brushes (hake and squirrel or synthetic)
· Small sachet of baby wipes for hand cleaning
· Whatever paints you prefer to work with in the studio on Sunday